January 26, 2018
I’m sure you’ve heard that you’re a child of God, but do you truly believe that in your very core? Most of the obstacles that Christians face can be traced to forgetting their identity in God. For example, a poverty mindset is rooted in a lack of belief in the resources we have access to as God’s children. Another symptom of an unawareness of identity is living as a victim to the schemes of the devil. The truth is sons and daughters of the living God ought to be crushing the devil under their feet! Knowing your identity may be the one of the most important truths to grasp. Without it, your life with be plagued by lack, fear, insecurity and powerlessness.
Kids Inherit Family Traits
The truth is, as a child of God, you’re supposed to look and act like your Daddy! You are created in His image—a beautiful heir to His kingdom. You have access to everything your Dad has access to, and you’re glorious just as He is!
Take a look at this very old Flashback Friday video (click here for the long version) for more on why it’s so important that you grasp your royal identity today. And if you’re a veteran who knows this message inside and out, I still encourage you to listen because we can all use a good reminder now and then:In a nutshell:
- Romans 8:14-21 says, “For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.”
- The devil, God and creation all know who you are… it’s only you who doesn’t know who the heck you are!
- When Adam and Eve sinned, it wasn’t just humans that were cursed, it was creation too! That’s why Jesus said to preach the gospel to all of creation.
- What is creation groaning for? For the sons and daughters to be revealed so that it can be released from the curse of slavery and back into its purpose of giving glory to God.
- As soon as you figure out who you are, creation gets released!
- The reason why you can heal the sick, raise the dead and cast out demons is because of who you are in Christ. He didn’t say “pray for healing,” He said “heal the sick.”
- You don’t walk in miracles because of anything you did for yourself, rather you’re just receiving what your Daddy did for you! (John 10:37-38)
- If you teach people to heal the sick and cast out demons without teaching them identity, then they have a performance-based identity. But if you teach them to do that and teach them who they are, then they’ll understand they’re supposed to walk in power because of who their Daddy is.
- When you act like God, you’re being yourself. That’s why in Ephesians 5 it says to be imitators of God.
- You were created to be glorious! (John 17:22)
- You were born to torment the tormentor!
- Sons see problems in their lives as a miracle waiting to happen.
- Psalm 16:3 “As for the saints who are in the earth, They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight.”
- Isaiah 55:5 “Behold, you will call a nation you do not know, And a nation which knows you not will run to you, Because of the Lord your God, even the Holy One of Israel; For He has glorified you.”…You rock! And you didn’t even do it to you.
Know Who You Are
Your identity as a child of God is a non-negotiable. You’re powerful, glorious, and outright awesome. I want to reiterate the declaration from the video and encourage you to read this out loud today: “I am amazing. I am God’s greatest creation. He loves me to death. I rock. I was born to do greater works than Jesus. I was born for glory. Nations are attracted to me. I have the mind of Christ, therefore I think like God. He’s my inheritance and I’m His inheritance. He actually likes me and I like me too. And if people got to know me, they would like me. Creation knows who I am. The devil knows who I am, God knows I am, the angels know who I am… and today, I know who I am!”
Anytime you’re beginning to doubt who you are, come back to this truth and let your loving Father be your anchor point in life. I bless you to know the heart of the Father in deeper ways today, I bless you with grace to receive everything He’s giving you, and I bless you to walk in power and humility as a royal heir in the kingdom. And may the world know it!
Is this an easy concept for you to live out? How do you think your actions can change if you fully embraced your sonship in God? I’d love to hear what you think in the comments!
Topics: All TopicsIdentity